Thursday, September 27, 2012

Coping with sickness


-Ask the Expert-

Question:

multiple sclerosis, sickness,
Dear Experts, i am a 31 years old woman, I am the mom of a 5 years old boy, and i had many projects. At least until 15 days ago...They diagnosed me, all of a sudden, a multiple sclerosis.
From that moment, my life stopped.

I cannot perceive myself as the same person, the same mother, the same wife. Even though i try as much as i can to don't leave myself the time to think about it, every night I am in tears. I keep my few smiles for my boy, i do not want him to perceive my pain.

Barely a semester is left before my master in psychology, but I am not sure anymore that i will have the mental strength to finish it. How can i find again the strength to keep going ?

Thank You in advance.

Answer:

Dear Erika, the discovery of such a complex sickness surely brought up very unpleasant emotions: stupor, frustration, fear, anxiety, anger, pain, and negative thoughts about your future. I understand you very well, because i already had been close to persons that have been diagnosed with severe illnesses: sclerosis, cancer, diabetes.

From my experience i had the chance to notice how the mix of medical and psychological cures can lead to the recovery some times, or to the stall (to a non dangerous step) of the sickness.

Your are not the sickness, you have the sickness. Plato used to say: "There is no point in trying to heal the body without healing the soul." In fact, i think that the real healing begin within your consciousness, and one of the easiest way to reach it is through emotions.

So I suggest you to:
1) take all the medical exams to evaluate the step and severity of the sickness;
2) Begin with the pharmacological therapies that the doctor will prescribe you;
3) Work on the emotional blocks related to this experience, in order to reach a full consciousness of yourself, and of the psychological mechanisms that are involved.

This will also help you after the graduations, to better decide which specialization to pursue. I am sure that you will do well, good luck!

Answer:
Ornella Furlani, psychotherapist
Question:
Erika, 31 years old
Publication Date: 05/24/2010

Check out the original article here
 

No comments:

Post a Comment