Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sexual Performance Anxiety with my lover


-Ask the Expert-

Question:

sexuality, performance anxiety, anxiety disorder, anxiety, sexual behaviorI am a married man since 15 years, and I have a daughter. My marriage is almost perfect under every aspect, including the sexual one. Since a couple of months I began cheating on my wife.

Sadly, I found out that I have erectile dysfunction when I am with my lover. I have no sicknesses.
What can I do? Please help me without judging. Thank you.

Answer:

Dear Mario, the words “Erectile Dysfunction” are usually related to organic causes, while in your case it seems obvious that the problem is psychological. In fact we are talking of an impotency of emotional-psychological cause. In your situation there is obviously some tension, maybe unconscious, and an inconsistency between a satisfying marriage and an unsatisfying extra-marital relationship.

Negative sexual performances usually, in men, generate a “sexual performance anxiety” that complicates and can even ruin successive attempts. After the first failed performance, it starts an anxiety state that compromise that mental serenity needed to successfully enjoy sex. A failure follows the other, and this increase the anxiety and brings more failures, and so on.

Like in every cases of “sexual performance anxiety”, to avoid entering in this vicious circle, you should avoid frantically looking for reassurances of your good functioning, because this activity inevitably leads to an increased anxiety that feeds the mechanism again.

There is absolutely no judgment in my words, but it seems to me that you are the one that is unconsciously negatively judging what you are doing, and this generates that emotional tension that leads to problematic performances.

A self-analytic reflection could give you the answers that you are really looking for.

Best wishes

Answer:
Roberto Melloni
Question:
Mario, 42 years old
Publication Date: 05/14/2007

Check out the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment