Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fear of Commitment


-Ask the Expert-
Question:
Dear Doctors,
fear of commitment
I hope to learn whether or not you can help me with my problems with your suggestions. I am 38 years old and legally separated from my husband for 6 months after only 3 years of marriage without any kids. We have been engaged very happily and without any abuses for 12 years. My husband, according to him and everyone else, is devoted to me and adores me. Me on the other hand, even when loving him, have always been more cold and rational, a trait that links back to my family. Imagine that I’ve married after 2 years that he’s asked me and I’ve was even stalling on the decision to have kids regardless of his initial requests. But when I’ve decided to follow his request, we were separated. We’ve never lived together because he works and lives in a different city from where I work. To be honest, I never even joined him during the summer because knowing him, who is devoted to work, would not listen to me. On the other hand, this is why we don’t stay good together but he doesn’t say it to me because some things are not meant to be said…
After the death of a co-worker who did the same job, He became worse and absorbed himself completely in work. Because of this, I began to complain every time we see each other and stopped giving him serenity because he is tide between work and me. After 2 months, during yet another one of my complaints, he told me that he is not sure that he wants to stay with me anymore because his 2 great passions, his job and I, clashed together and he is not able to re-conciliate it anymore. In addition, he has suffered a lot being alone for such a long time; but he is used to it and enjoys staying this way. Thus, having understood that he finds it difficult to live together as a couple, something inside him broke and his life is ruined because you only love once in your life. He also constantly reminds me that I’ve never understood any of his problems when he is always aware of mines and my anxiety (I was suffering constantly from anxiety and panic attacks). I’m almost sure that he does not have and he’s never had another woman even now. After a week, with my anguish and his (he was vomiting), He decided to leave me and he asked me immediately for separation because he wanted to closed this chapter of his life instantly and he doesn’t want to turn back. We haven’t heard from each other for 4 months (I learned in the meanwhile that he completed a job that is very dangerous) and after one of my letters, a bit before the separation, we saw each other for the first time and he showed me his more fragile side like before. The day before the separation he wanted to see me, and he told me that he loved staying with me, and that he doesn’t want to risk his life for work anymore and that decision of the day after does not need to be so defined. And he told me the same thing again the day of.
We started seeing each other again after that. Not even a month after, once I learn that he is moving to a city further away, he asked me to follow him definitely once the school year is finished (I am a teacher). He also asked me to be a little bit more patient because he feels very fragile and he wanted to go on with care for the fear of suffering again. I went with him. He introduced me to all of his new colleague as his wife, and he called two friends to announced that we are pretty much getting back together. After a month and a half, I felt him distant from me again and then he told me that it is better for me not to follow him because he doesn’t want to move too fast. He is not putting his hands up in defense but only to show me that he is not an unconscious psycho, and that he has a great respect for me, and that he loves me. But he doesn’t want to suffer anymore and if we get back together it has to be for the whole life. He confessed that he is depressed, works too much (day and night) in order to not have to think, to not be so stressed because now, different from before, he likes his job a lot and he’s reached an equilibrium that he did not have before. He also added that when he is angry, he needs to be left alone, more now because he’s never been in this situation before. But anyways, if we are separated in the future, it is not my fault. He became aggressive, egotistic, self-fish, intolerant, nervous, he pride himself for his work, and he does nothing besides talking about his work in an obsessive way. Where is the sweet, patient, and understanding boy that I knew for 14 years?
We talk every day but we rarely see each other. Only after the separation that I understand how much I love him (I never told him), I admit my guilt and I can’t excuse myself even though he told me that he also committed the greater errors but the problem lies within us both. I don’t know what to do, how to help him if he doesn’t want external help. I don’t want to end our story and want to clarify if it is a problem of feelings or something more complex. Thanks for your advises, I really do need them. 
Answer:
Dear Cati,
The thing that is most obvious from what you wrote is the difficulty that you both have in living in a real relationship. Your relationship seems to always have been a “chasing game” (When one runs away, the other chases and vice versa). This kind of conflict is usually caused by the combination of the need to have a relationship and the fear to have one. The causes of this subconscious behavior can be found in the past of each individual. Generally, every person is afraid to completely let him/her self go for the fear of appearing naked in front of others and becoming too vulnerable. There are some family situation and personal experiences that make certain individuals more fragile and scared of being committed. In these cases, problems like yours happen; always chasing and looking for something but never able to reach it. It’s hard if not impossible to be able to come out without outside help. It is like trying to help someone out of a well while being inside the well yourself. It’s necessary to find a third person that throws a rope. If your husband doesn’t want to see psychotherapeutic help, you can start it and it will benefit you both. 
Answer:
Lara Scarsella, Psychotherapist
Question: 
Cati, 38 years old 
Publication Date: 10/02/2008
Check out the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment