Monday, October 1, 2012

Addicted to frienship?


-Ask the Expert-

Question:

Friendship, addiction,
I could not believe that i would suffer so much. I could not believe that i would feel such an intense and intolerable pain, and that i would feel it for such a long time. I did not know that the end of a friendship could cause such violent and intense suffering. I am here to ask for a suggestion.

David is, or maybe was, my best friend. He was my friend since many years, almost since forever. He is a complicated person, full of problems, he is introverted and younger than me. He entered in the endless spiral of depression, and then worsened the things with alcohol.

All this for problems related to his family, his relationships, and much more things.

I “saved” him countless times, taking him completely drunk out of some bar, or simply making him talk to get over his suicide threats. It was an error.
I substituted myself to a professional figure that certainly could have helped him way better, and would not get involved emotionally. There was a sort of transfert..If he was happy, I was too. When he fell into the deep of his depression, I felt great anxiety and fear. 

Then he got over that dark period. And he literally kicked me out of his life. We had a ferocious argument, and he absurdly accused me, my availability, and my efforts. He never talked to me again, not even to say sorry for the harsh words he used against me. Even if it might seem incredible, i felt his pain when he was suffering. 

I would have done anything to make him feel better. I intimately and deeply shared his pain, and i wonder, now, if I deserved what then happened to me.
The answer is NO. I do not deserve such a treatment. I just want respect, at least for what I have done and I have been through because of him.
Thank you.

Answer:

Dear Rae, I read your letter word by word, and I write you what i think from your own words. I hope this will help you.

Come out from your suffering? Let's clarify. Which suffering? I want to highlight that a psychological consult, like a psychotherapy, can solve the problems of a “neurotic” suffering, but cannot solve an existential pain, that is part of the negative side of life. It is not right or wrong, it just happens.

I will explain better. If you succeed into healthily resetting your emotional responses, you can come out from the loop of pain you seem to be in; but you will not be able to avoid the existential pain of the human disappointment that you faced.

That will always be part of your life experience, but it will not cause additional pain if you can accept and solve it emotionally.
Did you make a mistake into trying to solve the problem of your friend? Humanly, certainly not. But it is impossible to help who does not want to be helped. The alcoholic that does not say “help me, I am an alcoholic”, is not help-able, not even professionally. 

But this is not the main point, i think.
What really happened is that the big problem of a person that you cared about clashed against your feeling of power, and that made you fall into an addiction yourself.

We can be addicted to substances, but also to persons or situations. That situation became your addiction as much as the bottle was his. You need to recognize your addiction from that situation, not as a self-critic moral act, but as an explanation of your psychological state of mind, and as the first step in your path towards independence. You lost independence: that situation sucks you in, exactly like a drug could do.

Your letter to me is a partial understanding of your condition itself. You are on the right path, understand it, walk through it, and at the end you will find your solution. Only like this you will find a possible help, as opposed to the help that you gave him, that was impossible.
Good luck

Answer:
Roberto Melloni, Psychotherapist
Question:
Rae, 46 years old
Publication Date: 07/18/2008

Check out the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment