Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fear of exams


-Ask the Expert-
Question:
anxiety disorder, fear, stress
Hello, I am a 20 years old student that currently studies at a university. My problem is that I am experiencing blocks with my study. I study, I prepare, but I am terrorized by exams. When I know that an exam is imminent, whether near or far, I start to sweat and I feel a heavy weight oppressing my stomach. 
The closer the exam, the worse I become, sometimes I even break down in tears. I’ve re-arranged all of my exams for this but the last incident was evident. I prepared great before the exam, but when I arrived at the university to take the exam I felt pretty much absent-minded. I could not bring myself close to the classroom and I went away tearing. What can this be? Is there a cure? 
Who can I turn for help? Thank you for responding.
Answer:
Dear Emanuele, I want to reassure you immediately that there is a solution for what you are going through. Your problem, specifically the mental block before taking an exam, enters into the categories of disorders, or anxiety neurosis. However, it can also be attributed to low self-esteem, or lack of trust in self. I would like to suggest to you to not focus all of your attention, your worries, your life, and yourself only on the problem: “how do I overcome this mental block with my study.” Instead, I think, it is important that you ask yourself, if the study block might be hiding something other problems. That it is trying to hint at something unconscious.
Therefore, choose to site with a psychotherapist that can facilitate a solution not only for the study block but also so that you can live knowingly, with better self-esteem, trust, and self-determination. I hope in this hasty response I was able to help. In any case, I hope you find the best way to live and to make your life function. 
Best wishes. 

Answer:
Silvano Forcillo, Psychotherapist
Question:
Emanuele, 20 years old
Publication Date: 05/19/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment